Monday 2 May 2011

Bellwether - Book Review

Bellwether by Connie Willis

What is it about:
Sandra Foster studies fads and their meanings for the HiTek corporation. Bennet O'Reilly works with monkey group behavior and chaos theory for the same company. When the two are thrust together due to a misdelivered package and a run of seemingly bad luck, they find a joint project in a flock of sheep. But series of setbacks and disappointments arise before they are able to find answers to their questions.

What did I think of it:
A suprisingly pleasant and humorous read. Willis writing style is light even when she's tackling heavy subjects like chaos theory and I finished this book in no time. I did feel frustrated from time to time, but this had to do with some of the people Sandra has to deal with and who were so irritating and recognisable I wanted to punch them. I liked how each chapter began with describing a fad and how Sandra keeps comparing the things she does with important scientific discoveries. All in all this story is a well written, fun modern faerytale complete with a moral, but it's integrated in the story in such a way I didn't mind. I will certainly pick up other books by Willis in the future if I run into them.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun, light read


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


1 comment:

vvb32 reads said...

i've heard about this one and thought i might give it a try. but your comment on wanting to punch the character gives cause for pause.