Monday 26 November 2012

Embrace of the Damned - Book Review by Voodoo Bride


Embrace of the Damned (Brotherhood of the Damned #1)
by Anya Bast


What is it about:
A damned Viking warrior.

Centuries ago Broder Calderson committed murder. As punishment, he was given over to the dominion of Loki, the Trickster God, made part of the Brotherhood of the Damned and condemned to an immortal life of battle against the Blight, blood-drinkers from Hel.

A mysterious woman he can’t resist.
One thousand years to the day he was damned, Loki allows him a woman as reward for his good service and repentance of his crimes. Once Broder sees Jessamine Hamilton, he is overcome with need. But Jessa is no ordinary woman, and the truth of who—and what—she is could have dangerous consequences.

A tormented man she can’t deny.

Though a future together is impossible, the warrior’s touch ignites an irresistible passion in Jessa. But every heated kiss pushes them closer to destruction. Forced to return to the brutality of his Viking past to protect her, will Broder surrender forever to his darkest impulses?


What did Voodoo bride think of it:
This is a nice paranormal romance.

Jessamine is a bit tiring at times I have to confess. At the start of the story I really liked her: she doesn't immediately swoon over the hero and is suspicious of his motives. Later on she really got on my nerves though. She just kept Broder on a leash, letting him pleasure her, but then pushing him away when he wanted more. I wanted to tell her to just make up her mind and stop playing with Broder. If I had been Broder I would have lost my patience pretty soon.

The story overall was really nice. I really liked the world building and the idea of the brotherhood. I also loved Loki, he's a very intriguing deity and I think Bast did him justice for the most part (He's cast a bit too much like a villain at times imo). There was a pretty clear case of Deus Ex Machina near the end of the story though and even though this is a story that has actual gods in it, I felt myself robbed of a normal solution.

So in the end this was a nice read, but I don't think I'll be reading more books in this series. I might pick up another book by Bast in the future though, if the premise sounds interesting.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice paranormal read with Vikings


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Aurian said...

I've read about Deus Ex Machina in the last Thea Harrison book this week, so now I know what it is ;) This sounds good as well, thanks for the review.

Melliane said...

I understand you, I had the same problem as I told you. Broder was so much patient and she couldn't make her mind about what she wants.