Thursday 22 November 2012

Ten - Book Review


Ten
by Gretchen McNeil

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?


What did I think of it:
Anyone else who immediately thought of And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie when reading the above blurb?

I did anyway when first reading what Ten was about.

And Ten is indeed a YA retelling of that classic story. It's done pretty well too I must confess. I very much enjoyed Ten. It's really suspenseful, even though it follows the original story for most part. The ending did steer away from the original ending and I must say (although I love everything about And Then There Were None and it's far superior to Ten) the ending of Ten worked for me.

I liked Meg, although there were times I grew a bit impatient with her. I did frown over the actions of the murderer at times though. Why do murderers always have to leave clues in stories like this? If they didn't they would seriously reduce the chance of people starting to get an idea of their identity.

There's also this one major annoyance:
Nowhere in the book it is mentioned this is a retelling of And Then There Were None! Not even a mention or thank you or anything. I really think that's a miss.

Those grumblings aside I very much enjoyed this book and I most probably will read more books by McNeil.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable YA Thriller


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

No comments: