Friday 2 November 2012

Liquid Lies - Book Review by Voodoo Bride


Liquid Lies (The Elementals #1)
by Hanna Martine


What is it about:
Magic is corporate America's best-kept secret, and Gwen Carroway is the best at selling it...

With her ability to pick up any language in an instant, Gwen Carroway is taking her family business global. As dutiful future leader of water elementals, she'll do anything to protect her people's secrets and bloodlines--including enter an arranged marriage. Inside, however, she yearns for the forbidden.

Reed is a mercenary addicted to the money and adrenaline rush of his work. After he inadvertently saves Gwen's life, he ignites her taboo desire for men without magic--and with bodies of gods. Just as things heat up, Reed discovers that Gwen is exactly who he's been hired to kidnap. He resolves to put work before lust, yet her luscious beauty and fiery spirit unravel him...

But there is a terrible truth behind Gwen's family business--and now, caught between the kinsmen she no longer trusts and an enemy bent on vengeance, the only ally she has is her abductor...


What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
This book is the perfect example why an author should take care not to make a secondary character more interesting than one of the lead characters.

Don't get me wrong: this is a very nice Paranormal Romance, but the hero, Reed, wasn't half as interesting as Xavier, one of the other male characters (and one of the 'bad guys' of course). I kept wishing this story had been about Xavier instead of Reed.

Reed was ok, but I didn't feel he and Gwen made a great match, even though he was bald and sounded like the perfect hero when it comes to looks. This might have been because I was too focused on Xavier, but overall the romance felt a bit off to me.

Apart from that the story was pretty good and after I got over my disappointment that Xavier wasn't a love interest I really got into it. It's suspenseful, gritty and with a nice romantic storyline. I was surprised by some of the grittier details of this story, I will confess I hadn't expected those in a PNR, but they made the story more intense.

All in all this was an enjoyable read and because most of my problems were not with the story, but with the romantic lead, I think I might try the next book in this series.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice Paranormal Romance


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


2 comments:

M.A.D. said...

Sounds pretty yummy! Haven't read this, but got to say that even the name Xavier sounds more interesting than Reed lol

Aurian said...

Nice review, I haven't read a review about this book before, but you certainly make me add it to my wishlist.