Friday 7 June 2013

The Circle - Book Review


The Circle (Engelsfors #1)
by Sara Bergmark Elfgren and Mats Strandberg


What is it about:
One night, when a strange red moon fills the sky, six school girls find themselves in an abandoned theme park, drawn there by a mysterious force. A student has just been found dead. Everyone suspects suicide. Everyone - except them.

In that derelict fairground an ancient prophecy is revealed. They are The Chosen Ones, a group of witches, bound together by a power, one which could destroy them all. But they soon learn that despite their differences they need each other in order to master the forces that have been awakened within them.

High school is now a matter of life and death. Because the killing has only just begun.


What did I think of it:
This was a cool read.

This book is told from multiple viewpoints, but although this sometimes annoys me, it wasn't the case here. There's lots going on and the use of multiple viewpoints only added to the suspense. I had my favorite characters of course and those I liked less. Knowing that any of them could be the next to die, made for some intense reading.

Although this is a Paranormal Young Adult story, it felt really realistic. I got caught up in the story right from the start and had a hard time putting it down.

There were some minor annoyances. I did think the girls were very gullible at times. Trusting someone, just because that person said he/she could be trusted for example, but it never got to the point where I got too annoyed.

I liked that the story was set in Sweden. Overall it didn't really make a difference for the story, but the small things like the school celebrating Santa Lucia, the farm where one of the girls lives, added flavor to the story.

The book doesn't have a cliffhanger ending, but there's enough left open that I really wondered what would happen next and I'm going to get my trotters on the next book somewhere in the future for sure.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool Paranormal YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

No comments: