Monday 17 June 2013

The Dark Unwinding - Book Review


The Dark Unwinding (The Dark Unwinding #1)
by Sharon Cameron


What is it about:
When Katharine Tulman's inheritance is called into question by the rumor that her eccentric uncle is squandering away the family fortune, she is sent to his remote English estate to have him committed to an asylum. But instead of a lunatic, Katharine discovers a genius inventor with his own set of childlike rules, who employs a village of nine hundred people rescued from the workhouses of London.

Katharine is now torn between protecting her own inheritance and preserving the peculiar community she has grown to care for—a conflict made even more complicated by a handsome apprentice, a mysterious student, and fears for her own sanity.

As the mysteries of the estate begin to unravel, it is clear that not only is her uncle's world at stake, but also the state of England as they know it.


What did I think of it:
This is a cool read.

The writing is a bit static at times, but that only adds to the mood and atmosphere of this steampunk(ish) tale.

I liked Katharine as a lead character. She's a heroine who wants to do the right thing, but who's very aware what the consequences will be for herself if she does. The conflict this creates for her makes this book a very interesting read. I will confess there were several times I wanted to kick Katharine though, especially in the first half of the book.

And then there are the other characters: Katharine's uncle Tully is a wonderful character and the people he surrounds himself with are intriguing and fun. I loved getting to know them.

The story itself is slow paced, but I really liked it. At times this story and its mood reminded me of the Gothic romances I liked reading years ago and this might have added to my enjoyment of the book.

The romance part of the story was very toned down in my opinion. I wouldn't have minded if that part of the story had been fleshed out a bit more, but overall this is a really cool and intriguing read.

The ending frustrated me a bit and set itself up for a sequel which will be out in September. You can be sure I will get my trotters on it to see what's next for Katharine.

Why should you read it:
It's an atmospheric Steampunk YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

sounds like a great steampunk book :)

Aurian said...

Great review Sullivan, now i want to read the book.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Aah, frustrating end with a series. Yea, those stink. But sounds like a promising series. :) Thank you.