Friday 4 January 2019

Scarlet - Book Review


Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)
by Marissa Meyer


What is it about:
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


What did I think of it:
This second book is just as cool as the first. The story of this book is loosely based on Little Red Riding Hood and you can definitely recognize elements from the fairytale, but once again Meyer made the story her own.

I liked that the story switched between Scarlet and Cinder. Cinder was left in a rather precarious situation at the end of the first book, so I was glad I didn't have to wait for later books to see how she was doing.

Both Cinder's storyline and Scarlet's were cool and full of action. Usually I can get impatient with one storyline when there are more, but I liked both of them equally. I was also glad that some chapters showed how Kai is faring as well.

I loved the enigmatic Wolf who offers Scarlet help, even though events from the original fairytale told me he might not be trustworthy. I kept rooting for him to win Scarlet's trust and for the two of them to work together.

At the ending of this book the problems are far from over, but Cinder and Scarlet are one step closer to solving them. You bet I'll be picking up the next book soon.

Why should you read it:
It's a really enjoyable SF fairytale retelling.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: