Monday 4 March 2019

Phoenix Falling - Book Review


Phoenix Falling (Wildlands #5)
by Laura Bickle


What is it about:
In the Yellowstone backcountry, a merciless source of evil carries a torch for the past…

Petra Dee and her immortal husband, Gabe, have been trying to gain a toehold in what passes for ordinary life in Temperance, Wyoming—

a wickedly enchanted land founded generations ago by the alchemist, Lascaris. Petra may be adept when it comes to the uncanny, but as a reasoned geologist, Petra still can’t fathom the wildfires suddenly engulfing Yellowstone National Park, or why Gabe claims to have seen the sky explode in flames. The answers could lie in the past.

It was a dreadful night in 1862 when Lascaris went harvesting for souls, only to be set upon by townsfolk determined to eliminate the root of all evil in a trial by fire. Petra can’t help fearing that Lascaris has crawled out of the ashes of history to wreak vengeance—and to complete his mission by claiming every vulnerable soul in Temperance.

With the help of Gabe and her coyote sidekick, Sig, Petra must now venture into Lascaris’s shadow before he turns her world into an inferno burning out of control.


What did I think of it:
I totally pre-ordered this book and had to restrain myself from diving right into it once it arrived. Instead I was good and finished the book I was reading first before devouring this one.

And I can tell you I would have finished this book in one sitting if I didn't have appointments I had to keep. This is yet another amazing story.

Bickle always manages to capture my attention and make me feel for her characters. I love how she even managed to make me feel sorry for Owen, who is the kind of guy who thinks he's a hero, but is making all the wrong choices that make him a jerk instead of a hero.

The stakes in this book are high and Petra and her friends might have to make sacrifices to stop the fires threatening Temperance. Ancient evils, creatures, and secrets make this even more difficult and dangerous.

This book is the end of the series as far as I understand, and if it is: this is an ending you want for an awesome series as this. It left me with all the feels, both satisfied and eager for more of these wonderful characters and this setting. You bet I'll be rereading this series, and I will hungrily wait for more books by Bickle.

Why should you read it:
It's an amazing UF read.


buy from bookdepository

1 comment:

Laura Bickle said...

I'm so thrilled that you enjoyed it! Thank you for this. Writing "the end" for this one was a bittersweet thing...I really loved this world and the characters in it, and I wanted there to be an appropriate ending.