Monday 18 March 2019

The Bad Luck Bride - Book Review by Voodoo Bride


The Bad Luck Bride (The Cavensham Heiresses #1)
by Janna MacGregor


What is it about:
All were shocked at the announcement of the “cursed” Lady Claire Cavensham to Lord Alexander Hallworth, the Marquess of Pembrooke, especially since she is already engaged to another unfortunate Lord. Perhaps she will make it to the altar this time with one of these fine gentlemen! —Midnight Cryer

No one is left breathless at the imperious pronouncement of her engagement to Lord Pembrooke more than Claire. She hardly knows the dangerously outrageous man! But after three engagements gone awry and a fourth going up in glorious flames, she isn’t in a position to refuse...

Alexander requires the hand of his enemy’s fiancée in marriage in order to complete his plans for revenge. It’s his good fortune that the “cursed” woman is desperate. However, what begins as a sham turns into something scandalously deeper...


What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
This is a nice read.

Maybe it's just me, but the conflict in this book felt tame. Don't get me wrong: I liked Claire and Alexander and I enjoyed their romance, but with the set up I had expected more drama and more hurdles to their happy end. And even the hurdles they had to take lacked a certain depth in my opinion. I didn't feel their emotions, I wasn't invested in their struggles. Part of this may be because both keep their cards close to their chest, which made it hard for me to really get to know them.

That aside: they made a sweet couple and even though I didn't emotionally connect I had fun seeing their romance unfold. A nice read when you're in the mood for an enjoyable Historical Romance. I might even try another book by MacGregor if I run into it.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable Historical Romance.


buy from bookdepository



No comments: