Wednesday 10 November 2021

Flowers for the Sea - Book Review

 

Flowers for the Sea
by Zin E. Rocklyn

What is it about:
We are a people who do not forget.

Survivors from a flooded kingdom struggle alone on an ark. Resources are scant, and ravenous beasts circle. Their fangs are sharp.

Among the refugees is Iraxi: ostracized, despised, and a commoner who refused a prince, she’s pregnant with a child that might be more than human. Her fate may be darker and more powerful than she can imagine.

Zin E. Rocklyn’s extraordinary debut is a lush, gothic fantasy about the prices we pay and the vengeance we seek.

What did I think of it:
To be honest: I'm not quite sure what this story was about and what exactly happened. Still I loved it. It breathed a dark atmosphere, and the writing was beautiful and held me captive. I could easily picture (and almost smell) the ship on which Iraxi and others are trapped. 

I was drawn in from the start and even while struggling to understand the deeper layers of what was going on I had to keep reading to see where the story would lead. 

This is a harsh and brutal tale, one filled with anger, regret, and bitterness. It's also a tale I will revisit, to explore those nuances that were too slippery for me on this first read. 

Why should you read it:
It's an atmospheric and intriguing read.


buy from amazon


No comments: