Monday 29 August 2011

Happy Hour at Casa Dracula - Book Review

Happy Hour at Casa Dracula (Casa Dracula #1)
by Marta Acosta


What is it about:
Milagro De Los Santos needs to get her career on track -- and a sexy man to come home to. At a party for her ex-boyfriend, she meets the unusually attractive Oswald Grant, who sweeps her off her feet. But when he bites her in the heat of passion and she instantly falls ill, Milagro realizes Oswald is not just any fabulous man -- he's a vampire. Whisked away to his family's estate to recover, Milagro learns the ins and outs of vampirism while falling for a wickedly inappropriate man. But when the vampires' lives are threatened, Milagro uses her wits, her wiles, and an incredibly whacky scheme to bring down a power-mad secret society that refuses to let the undead live and love in peace.

What did I think of it:
To be honest: I was disappointed by this book.

Maybe my expectations were too high as lots of people told me it was both funny and fun, but I found it entertaining at best. The romance storyline didn't work for me: I really couldn't understand the attraction between Milagro and Oswald at all. The rest of the story was entertaining enough to finish the book, but didn't have me cheering Milagro on to see her succeed. I felt myself shaking my head over her actions in annoyance instead. The best part of this book: Acosta's writing style. It's breezy and witty and I would probably pick up another book by Acosta because of this writing style, but it won't be book two in this series though.

Why should you read it:
Witty writing and vampires


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Demented Wench said...

I've been burnt out on vampires for a long time so I'm not sure the witty writing would be enough for me. :(

Sullivan McPig said...

It kept me from putting the book down, but it was a close call at times