Monday 10 December 2012

Need - Book Review


Need (Need #1)
by Carrie Jones


What is it about:
Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.


What did I think of it:
This is a nice read.

I did think that Zara and her new friends were very quick to jump to paranormal conclusions. Zara tells she's being stalked and: Wham! It must be this paranormal creature! I'd have liked a bit more build up to the paranormal element to make it more believable.

I will also confess I did get a bit annoyed at Zara at times. She doesn't seem to have even one self-preserving bone in her body, always doing things that get her into trouble. I really liked her grandmother though and Zara's new friend Issie is a really fun character as well.

Apart from some minor annoyances I enjoyed the story. It's suspenseful, just a little bit creepy and with interesting world building. And the quick accepting of paranormal stuff aside, the story is set up quite logical and believable.

All in all a pleasant Paranormal Young Adult read. I might pick up the next book in this series if I run into it.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable Paranormal YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

1 comment:

Aurian said...

Being annoyed with the lead character is never a good feeling, not sure if I would finish the book if I felt that way. But glad you enjoyed it enough, and she "grew up".