Thursday 6 December 2012

Seraphina - Book Review


Seraphina (Seraphina #1)
by Rachel Hartman


What is it about:
Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.


What did I think of it:
This is a fun Fantasy read.

I love the world Hartman created in this book. The dragons are really intriguing creatures, who think very differently than humans. This makes them alien and strange even when they take their human form.

I liked Seraphina. She's a take charge heroine who gets things done when needed. She has her flaws and weaknesses, but those make her only more likeable and believable. But I loved her teacher Orma most of all the characters. Orma is a dragon and it is mostly through his character that you learn how dragons think and why they're so different from humans. I loved each and every scene that had Orma in it.

The story was interesting and suspenseful. I will confess that the bad guy was quite obvious to me and the red herrings that were put in to keep you away from the bad guy were past their expiration date as well, but I can't say I minded. It was such a fun read, in such a wonderful setting, that I was able to overlook such things.

It seems that this book is meant to be YA and looking at the romance and the age of the heroine I can understand why, but to be honest it didn't feel like a YA to me and it does seem a bit too philosophical at times and some of the word use is too highbrow to appeal to teens, but maybe I'm mistaken.

All in all this is a fun and enjoyable read. I will keep an eye out for the next book which promises to be filled with action.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun YA Fantasy story with dragons


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Ooo, I do want this one! So glad to see you enjoyed it, all aspects. :) Thank you!

Aurian said...

This sure sounds good, I love fantasy and dragons, and if you say it is not really YA: win!

Sullivan McPig said...

@Aurian: it's nothing like most YA I come across. It reads pretty much like any other (adult) Fantasy