Friday 13 February 2015

City of Lost Souls - Book Review


City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5)
by Cassandra Clare


What is it about:
What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

What did I think of it:
This series keeps getting better in my opinion.

The first three books were very entertaining, but often very predictable as well. The fourth book was a lot better, it felt more surprising and solid. And this book is yet another step above book four. I can only hope that means book six will be absolutely amazing.

I really enjoyed this book. I will say I was happy I've read the prequel trilogy before reading this one, because that way I was treated to some fun scenes and cameos. They were small and if you haven't read the prequel trilogy you certainly aren't missing out on the main story, but those tiny 'easter eggs' were an added bonus for me.

I'm still not a Simon fan, but I will say he did have his moments in this book. Magnus was magnificent, as always, and the story line dealing with him and Alec had me worried.

There were some cool and intense scenes, Clary acting way too impulsive, and trusting too easily (nothing new there), and although the book did end pretty much as I expected, it had some surprises in the epilogue that made me eager to start on the last book in this series.

But first I grabbed The Bane Chronicles, because I wanted more Magnus Bane.

Why should you read it:
It's a very entertaining Paranormal YA with cool world building.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments: