Wednesday 25 February 2015

Suspicion - Book Review


Suspicion
by Alexandra Monir


What is it about:
“There’s something hidden in the maze.”

Seventeen-year-old Imogen Rockford has never forgotten the last words her father said to her, before the blazing fire that consumed him, her mother, and the gardens of her family’s English country manor.

For seven years, images of her parents’ death have haunted Imogen’s dreams. In an effort to escape the past, she leaves Rockford Manor and moves to New York City with her new guardians. But some attachments prove impossible to shake—including her love for her handsome neighbor Sebastian Stanhope.

Then a life-altering letter arrives that forces Imogen to return to the manor in England, where she quickly learns that dark secrets lurk behind Rockford’s aristocratic exterior. At their center is Imogen herself—and Sebastian, the boy she never stopped loving.


What did I think of it:
I read that this book is inspired by Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca so I had to give it a try.

And this is a really cool read.

It does indeed have the same kind of mood and atmosphere as Rebecca, and there are some elements from Rebecca in this book, but luckily Monir decided not to stay too close to the story that inspired her, but to create a story of her own.

I really liked Imogen and could understand her reactions to everything that happens. Her attraction to Sebastian was less clear at first, but Sebastian made up for it later.

The paranormal element in this story felt a bit unnecessary in my opinion. It didn't really add to the story and could easily have been left out, but then again, it didn't annoy me either.

The story is set in present day, but felt dated at times. I know British nobility is still celebrated and present in the UK, but the peerage when it came to the servants felt a bit unrealistic. But I might be mistaken, and maybe things really are still that old fashioned among the British nobility.

That aside: I very much enjoyed this story for its mood, its suspense, and the characters. I will check out what else Monir has written.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable YA read with a Gothic feel to it.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Aurian said...

I know I have read Rebecca once. Can't remember anything about it though. Not sure this would be a book for me, especially as the paranormal element doesn't add anything to the story.