Friday 10 July 2020

The Fisher of Bones - Book Review


The Fisher of Bones
by Sarah Gailey


What is it about:
The Prophet is dead.

The eyes of the Gods have turned to his daughter. But she isn't ready. Not for the whispers in her ear, for the divinations... for the blood. Her people's history and their future, carved by ancients into the bones of long dead behemoths, are now her burden. Only she can read them, interpret the instructions, and guide them to the Promised Land.

Their journey is almost at an end, but now, without the Prophet, she must find a way to guide them to the place they will call Home. Through blood and through sand, against the will of her own flock, against the horrors that haunt the darkness, only she can bring her people Home.

The Prophet is dead. Long live the Prophetess.


What did I think of it:
I think it's no secret by now that I'm a bit of a fanpiggy when it comes to Sarah Gailey ever since reading their American Hippo books. I've gotten hold of most of heir books by now, and The Fisher of Bones was the last I still needed to get my trotters on. (next: getting hold of all the short stories)

And this is such an achingly beautiful read.

The Fisher of Bones drew me in, made me fall in love, and then stomped on my heart and feasted on my tears!

The atmosphere and mood in this story are beautiful. I was totally rooting for Fisher (the Prophetess) to succeed in leading her people to the Promised Land foretold in the bones only she can read. She has to deal with the doubters, the fanatics, the greedy, and with her own doubts and insecurities. I read this story in one sitting as I just couldn't put it down (Ok, it's a short read, but I'd have done the same had it been longer).

All in all this is an amazing read, and I'll be rereading it for sure!

Why should you read it:
It's a beautiful and emotional read.


buy from amazon

No comments: