Monday 12 July 2021

Dead Before Dinner - Book Review

 

Dead Before Dinner (Shadow Valley Manor #3)
by Kerry Schafer

What is it about:
Veteran paranormal investigator Maureen Keslyn never asked for life to be easy-for her, nothing is more invigorating than hunting down and ending a dangerous paranormal adversary. Fortunately, life at Shadow Valley Manor tends to be a little more...interesting...than the experience at your average retirement community.

Right now, though, even she has to admit that things are getting out of hand. The bizarre murder of one of her elderly residents is only the beginning. How is she supposed to focus on tracking down the killer when there's a spider loving middle-schooler underfoot? Worse, she's acquired an unwelcome roommate-an elderly woman with dementia and a penchant for walking through walls.

Maureen is ever resourceful, but the death count keeps rising despite her best efforts and the help of her team. With the life of a child hanging in the balance, Maureen is forced to take extraordinary measures-but will they be enough? 

What did I think of it:
I've been a big fan of Maureen ever since reading Dead Before Dying, so I was very excited when I heard there would be a book 3. And then I got an ARC from Kerry Schafer!

And what a ride!

Maureen is barely out of prison where she landed after events in the previous book when she has to deal with murder and other serious business. But Maureen might not be the youngest and have a tricky hip, she isn't easily defeated. 

I was on the edge of my seat and had to keep reading to find out what was going on and if Maureen would save the day without too much damage. And anyone taking a good look at the cover of this book, might understand when I tell them this story gave me serious heebee jeebies at times. 

The story changes view between Maureen and one other character, giving you some insides in things happening that Maureen isn't aware of. I loved both viewpoints, although Maureen is totally the hero of the book in my opinion. 

All in all this is an amazing read and you bet I'll get my trotters on the print when I can.

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome Urban Fantasy read with a really cool lead character.


buy from amazon


No comments: