Monday 5 July 2021

Wyoming Trucks, True Love, and the Weather Channel - Book Review

 

Wyoming Trucks, True Love, and the Weather Channel: A Woman's Adventure 
by Jeffe Kennedy

What is it about:
These essays explore the challenges Jeffe Kennedy has faced as a woman, a Westerner, a father-less daughter, a stepmother, a biologist, and a girl with hair of no specific color. From the book's opening in a cornfield, where Kennedy is searching for the twenty-five-year-old site of the plane crash that killed her father, she seems to be in constant motion. She is the feminist adolescent, ashamed to win a prize in home economics who learns to take joy in her pastry skills. She is the scientist struggling with mortality, the liberal learning to shoot a gun.

What did I think of it:
You probably know by now I'm a total fanpiggy when it comes to Jeffe Kennedy. So it is actually surprising I did not read her first published book sooner. 

This book is a collection of essays in which Jeffe explores several events in her life and her thoughts about it. There's visiting the site of the plane crash that killed her father, remembrances of friendships, the aftermath of a relative being placed into elderly care, and more.

I will confess I love listening to Jeffe's podcast First Cup of Coffee, because of the informal way of how she tells a  story. She does the same in these essays, making them intimate and personal. I felt like she was taking me into her confidence, telling me about these life-changing event and her thoughts about them. I gobbled these essays up and I totally cried about at least one of them.

I can totally recommend this book to anyone who loves great storytelling, and beautiful, touching anecdotes. And if you're a fan of Jeffe Kennedy's other works, this book is a must!

Why should you read it:
It's a wonderful collection of thoughtful essays.


buy from amazon

No comments: