Monday 11 October 2021

Certain Dark Things - Book Review

 

Certain Dark Things
by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

What is it about:
Welcome to Mexico City, an oasis in a sea of vampires. Domingo, a lonely garbage-collecting street kid, is just trying to survive its heavily policed streets when a jaded vampire on the run swoops into his life. Atl, the descendant of Aztec blood drinkers, is smart, beautiful, and dangerous. Domingo is mesmerized.

Atl needs to quickly escape the city, far from the rival narco-vampire clan relentlessly pursuing her. Her plan doesn't include Domingo, but little by little, Atl finds herself warming up to the scrappy young man and his undeniable charm. As the trail of corpses stretches behind her, local cops and crime bosses both start closing in.

Vampires, humans, cops, and criminals collide in the dark streets of Mexico City. Do Atl and Domingo even stand a chance of making it out alive? Or will the city devour them all?

What did I think of it:
This was a cool read.

I loved the setting and the atmosphere. The vampires in this book were really cool as well. There are several different kinds, and I loved getting to know more about each kind.

I also liked Domingo. He's a survivor, doing his best to make an life for himself on the streets of a futuristic Mexico City. Then he meets Atl...

I'll be honest: apart from Domingo I didn't like a single character in this book. Atl is supposed to be likeable I think, as Domingo falls head over heels for her, but I just didn't warm up to her.

As the viewpoint switches between several characters, including Domingo and Atl, this made that I was on;y really invested in Domingo's role in the story. I liked reading the other viewpoints, but I only rooted for Domingo.

This makes that this was a good read, bur not an amazing read. All in all I had fun with it, and would most probably try something else by Moreno-Garcia.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool vampire read


buy from amazon


No comments: