Tuesday 5 October 2021

Dune - Movie Review by Gilbert

 
Dune
Director: Denis Villeneuve

What is it about:
A mythic and emotionally charged hero's journey, "Dune" tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence-a commodity capable of unlocking humanity's greatest potential-only those who can conquer their fear will survive.

What did Gilbert think of it:
I will confess I haven't read the books, and it is ages ago since I saw Lynch's version (which I really liked back then), so I remembered very little of the story.

First notable thing:
This director really loves his yellow and orange filters! He went wild with them in Blade Runner 2049 and decided that hadn't been enough, so lots of yellow and orange filters in this movie as well.

The acting was decent, the overall movie was entertaining, and apart from the filters it was nice to look at. (I did see it in 3D, which I'm not a fan of, and which did some weird stuff to some scenes I must add.)

The pacing was a bit off in my opinion. The first half of the movie was slow, and then all the action was crammed in the second half. 

What I did think was weird was all the swords! What was up with that? I'm going to guess Herbert put those swords in the books, but why? There's such advanced technology, including mechanical killer insects and spaceships that can carpet bomb places, and the armies have swords? I really couldn't take the battle scenes seriously.

All in all I was entertained, but underwhelmed. I think I'll either read the book or rewatch the Lynch version soon to compare..

Why should you watch it:
It's a very entertaining Science Fantasy movie





No comments: