Friday 7 January 2022

The Female of the Species - Book Review

 

The Female of the Species
by Mindy McGinnis

What is it about:
Alex Craft knows how to kill someone. And she doesn’t feel bad about it.

Three years ago, when her older sister, Anna, was murdered and the killer walked free, Alex uncaged the language she knows best—the language of violence. While her own crime goes unpunished, Alex knows she can’t be trusted among other people. Not with Jack, the star athlete who wants to really know her but still feels guilty over the role he played the night Anna’s body was discovered. And not with Peekay, the preacher’s kid with a defiant streak who befriends Alex while they volunteer at an animal shelter. Not anyone.

As their senior year unfolds, Alex’s darker nature breaks out, setting these three teens on a collision course that will change their lives forever.

What did I think of it:
This is overall a really good story, but the ending did leave me unsatisfied, maybe even a bit angry.

it is told from three different viewpoints: Alex, Jack, and Peekay. I really liked both Peekay and Alex, as troubled as she might be. Jack was kind of uninteresting at best and a jerk at his worst. 

But I was totally engrossed in the story. Would Alex open up to Peekay, would Peekay get over getting dumped by her boyfriend, and would Alex find closure.

As I said: overall the story is really good and touches on some serious issues in a suspenseful way. I was eager to find out where things would lead to. And that's where I was disappointed. I can't tell why as it would be a big spoiler, but I just wanted things to turn out differently. Still I had a great time with this book and might read more by this author in the future.

Why should you read it:
It's a suspenseful YA read


buy from amazon


No comments: