Monday 28 January 2013

Riveted - Book Review


Riveted (Iron Seas #3)
by Meljean Brook


What is it about:
A century after a devastating volcanic eruption forced Iceland’s inhabitants to abandon its shores, the island has become enshrouded in legend. Fishermen tell tales of giant trolls guarding the land and of seductive witches who steal men’s hearts. But the truth behind the legends is mechanical, not magic—and the mystery of the island a matter of life and death for a community of women who once spilled noble blood to secure their freedom.

Five years ago, Annika unwittingly endangered that secret, but her sister Källa took the blame and was exiled. Now Annika serves on the airship Phatéon, flying from port to port in search of her sister and longing to return home . . . but that home is threatened when expedition leader David Kentewess comes aboard.

Determined to solve the mystery of his own origin, David will stop at nothing to expose Annika’s secrets. But when disaster strikes, leaving David and Annika stranded on a glacier and pursued by a madman, their very survival depends on keeping the heat rising between them—and generating lots of steam . . .


What did I think of it:
I will confess it took me some time to pick up this book.

I wasn't impressed by the romance in Heart of Steel (book 2 in this series) and I was afraid that Riveted would disappoint me as well.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

This book is right up there with The Iron Duke and Here There Be Monsters. There's a thrilling adventure, a sweet romance and plenty of cool action. I really liked the romance between David and Annika. They were a perfect fit in my opinion and I liked seeing them growing closer.

I did miss the zombies I must confess, but there's lots of other stuff happening that I won't hold the lack of zombies against this book.

There were some personal pet peeves that made me annoyed at this story at times, but as those were very personal I won't go into them here.

Overall this was a more than enjoyable book that restored my trust in this series. I really hope Brook will write more books in this setting.

Why should you read it:
It's an action packed Steampunk Romance



Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I read the novella's for this series and so want to get to the books. I really love the creation here with the world and steampunk. Great to hear you enjoyed this one. :) Thank you.

Sullivan McPig said...

@Melissa: if you enjoyed the novella's then you'll love The Iron Duke and Riveted. Most people love Heart of Steel as well, but the romance didn't work for me (the action is cool though).

Melliane said...

I really need to read the first book, but I have it it's a good start.