Thursday 10 January 2013

Scent of Magic - Book Review


Scent of Magic (Healer #2)
by Maria V. Snyder


What is it about:
As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.


What did I think of it:
I absolutely love the first book in this series, so I was eager to get my trotters on this one.

And it doesn't disappoint!

Once I got into the story I couldn't put it down and I read far past midnight to finish it.

I was a bit apprehensive at first because the cover story mentioned that Avry doesn't have Kerrick to rely on. I really liked Kerrick in the first book and was not looking forward to a book with no Kerrick. Luckily Snyder decided to write the book from both Avry's and Kerrick's perspective. So while they might not be together, you get to read about both their adventures.

The story was really cool and there were lots of intriguing developments, new characters and surprises along the way.

The ending made my scream in total frustration that I have to wait almost a year for the next book though: talking about cliffhanger endings!

But this book is too good to hold that against it and I'll be rereading it and Touch of Power while waiting for book 3 (Taste of Death).

Why should you read it:
It's an awesome Fantasy read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

4 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I'm hearing this series is doing rather well. :) I need to get to the first series in this world. Thanks for the great review and hope all the books keep going for you.

Aleksandra said...

Awesome, I need to read this asap :) And thanks for pointing out that there's Kerrick's PoV, I really liked him, too :) Great review!

Melliane said...

One day I'll have to buy book 1!

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks for for your comments everyone

@Melissa: her other fantasy series are in a different world as this one.