Thursday 26 September 2019

In the Sight of Akresa - Angry Spoilery Book Rant

*Warning: This book seriously ticked me off, so I'm going to spoiler the hell out of it and take it apart!*


In the Sight of Akresa
by Ray Wood


What is it about:
Claire's lover has no tongue. A slave liberated from a heathen temple, Aya cannot tell the story of her stolen voice, or of her and Claire's unfolding love. She cannot speak her pain, her joy, or her sorrow. And if she sees that which eludes the blind goddess of justice, she cannot bear witness. "In the Sight of Akresa" is a tragic fantasy romance from debut author Ray Wood.

What did I think of it:
Before I'm going off on a very angry rant, let's look at the description. Especially at this: a tragic fantasy romance.

There is one important rule to romance: it has to have a satisfying ending with a Happily Ever After or a Happy for Now. It's the one thing every romance reader counts on, and once again: it's a rule! So this being described as a tragic fantasy romance made me think that I was going to read a romance that might be very emotional, but would end satisfying with that all important HEA or HFN.

Yeah...

So when I started on this story I discovered this wasn't written from the point of view of Aya, the former slave, but from the point of view of Claire. And not even a few sentences in I had this bad taste in my mouth. The way Claire talks about her 'love' felt as if Aya had very little agency. She felt more like a prize to be won by Claire than a lover. Then Claire deliberately wounds her hawk to be able to get close to Aya and I really started to dislike her.

Still, this was a short story so I read on.

Imagine my surprise at the story that unfolded:

Claire and Aya become secret lovers, and I must say this felt off. Claire is a noblewoman and Aya a servant and ex slave. I felt like Aya didn't have much choice in the matter, and not just because she can't speak. Claire also doesn't really try to get to actually know Aya. It's more lust than love imo.

Anyway: Things happen, Claire's brother wants to destroy Claire's happiness, so sets up Aya who gets accused of attempted murder of a nobleman (who happens to be Claire's fiance, because of course Claire picks her cushy life and a nobleman over Aya when push comes to shove). Aya can't have done it however, because Aya was with Claire at the time of the murder attempt. At the trial Claire decides to stay quiet because she doesn't want people to find out she had a secret lover and Aya (who can't speak or write) takes the fall...

But it's alright, people! Because Claire is kind of sure Aya might have sabotaged the stirrup of her brother's horse, so he took a bad fall during a tournament. And there's the whispers of Aya being a witch and following people around. So all's well that ends well. Can we just admire this surprise satisfying HEA!

WTF!!!

Where is my actual romance! Where is the Happily Ever After or Happy For Now! This is so not a romance! It couldn't be less of a romance if it tried! I was so angry!

Expecting a romance I got a story about a selfish noblewoman who wants to fuck the ex slave, and when it might turn out she could get caught doing the nasty with a servant, she just let's her lover take the blame for an attempted murder!? How is this a romance! How? Who decided to call it that? This is not even a tragic love story. It's horrible and disturbing.

I can not recommend this story to anyone, especially not if you want a romance, because let me repeat: This is not a romance!! Totally not!

Do yourself a favor and pick up a real fantasy romance, like Jeffe Kennedy's books, or Grace Draven's. Only read this story if you like unpleasant people ruining other people's lives.

*end of rant*


No comments: