Friday 20 September 2019

Middlegame - Book Review


Middlegame
by Seanan McGuire


What is it about:
Meet Roger. Skilled with words, languages come easily to him. He instinctively understands how the world works through the power of story.

Meet Dodger, his twin. Numbers are her world, her obsession, her everything. All she understands, she does so through the power of math.

Roger and Dodger aren’t exactly human, though they don’t realise it. They aren’t exactly gods, either. Not entirely. Not yet.

Meet Reed, skilled in the alchemical arts like his progenitor before him. Reed created Dodger and her brother. He’s not their father. Not quite. But he has a plan: to raise the twins to the highest power, to ascend with them and claim their authority as his own.

Godhood is attainable. Pray it isn’t attained.


What did I think of it:
This is an intense, awesome, and emotional read.

Roger and Dodger are created by an alchemist with specific plans. They however don't know about this, and all they know is that they're different. As the story unfolds they learn more and more about themselves and it was so satisfying to follow them on this journey filled with failure, heartache, and hope.

Dodger was my favorite character. In some ways she reminded me of myself and this made what happens to her in this story all the more emotional. Roger could be a real ass at times, but he was mostly ok.

This book does make you work. With several viewpoint characters, and some sudden switches in the story you had to pay attention to understand what's going on. I was glued to the pages and even knowing a bit more than Roger and Dodger do I was blindsided at times. This is a weird and wonderful read I can tell you.

All in all a beautiful read. I need to work my way through all of Seanan's books I haven't read yet, because I want more.

Why should you read it:
It's a beautiful and wonderful read.


buy from bookdepository

No comments: