Friday 10 May 2013

Silence - Book Review


Silence (The Queen of the Dead #1)
by Michelle Sagara


What is it about:
Ever since her boyfriend Nathan had died in a tragic accident, Emma had been coming to the graveyard at night. During the day she went through the motions at her prep school, in class, with her friends, but that’s all it was. For Emma, life had stopped with Nathan’s death. But tonight was different. Tonight Emma and her dog were not alone in the cemetery. There were two others there—Eric, who had just started at her school, and an ancient woman who looked as though she were made of rags. And when they saw Emma there, the old woman reached out to her with a grip as chilling as death….

Emma was not quite like others teenagers. It was true that other girls had experienced grief. Other girls had also lost their fathers, or had their boyfriends die in a senseless accident. But though she hadn’t known it till that night in the graveyard, unlike those other girls, she could see, touch, and speak with the dead.


What did I think of it:
This is a really nice read.

I very much liked the writing and the story is enjoyable. The descriptions are vivid and I really liked the world building.

Emma was a bit unbelievable at times. She's nice, helpful, strong and kind to all those around her. I would have liked to see a bit more negative emotion, to make her more of a real teenager. She felt a bit one dimensional at times. Her friends, though interesting as they are, felt like they were there only to serve the story instead of being real friends to Emma.

Those things aside the story is pretty decent and has lots of intrigue and action. I might not have connected with Emma, the story gripped me anyway and I had to keep reading to see where things would lead.

All in all this is an enjoyable read and I think I'll pick up the next book once it's available as paperback. I might also investigate other books by Sagara.

Why should you read it:
It's an interesting Paranormal YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Hmm now I am not so sure about reading this series myself. But I do love her adult books a lot.

Melliane said...

Oh I was so curious about this one, loved the cover too!