Friday 31 May 2013

Bronze Gods - Book review


Bronze Gods (Apparatus Infernum #1)
by A.A. Aguirre


What is it about:
Hy Breasil is grimmer than it used to be.

Before the Architect closed the door, there were regular crossings, and a great war decimated both humans and Ferishers. The native fae who refused to treat with the invaders faded; their bodies withered and died, stranding them as hungry, angry spirits that haunt the countryside.

That means there’s always trouble brewing in Dorstaad.

Janus Mikani and Celeste Ritsuko work for the Criminal Investigation Department, keeping citizens safe from things that go bump in the night. He’s a hardboiled cynic with an uncanny sixth sense; she’s determined to justify her promotion as the first female detective in her division. Together, they’re trying to keep a black tide from drowning the city.

But when the second body surfaces, murdered with the same type of infernal device, the entire CID must face the truth. There’s a madman on the loose, twining magic and blood… and only Mikani and Ritsuko can unravel the intricate, lethal conspiracy before the Royale killer completes his macabre plan, unleashing old, forbidden magic on an unsuspecting populace. If the maniac succeeds, it could mean the end of everything…


What did I think of it:
I love most of Ann Aguirre's books, so when I heard about Bronze Gods, which she wrote together with her husband Andres, it wasn't a question of whether I'd read it or not, but when I'd read it.

I preordered Bronze Gods so I could get my trotters on it as soon as possible. Imagine my frustration when I saw the book in a book store a few days before the official release date, knowing that my preordered copy would take at least a week more to arrive. I almost bought the book right there and then, but I was strong and waited (im)patiently for my already preordered copy.

So was the book worth all this frustration and waiting?

Absolutely!

This is a really cool read. The steampunk world the Aguirres created is original and full of interesting characters and things. Both Mikani and Ritsuko are likeable and intriguing. I could relate to Ritsuko a little bit more than with Mikani, but they're a great team. I loved seeing how their relationship developed throughout the story.

The story was suspenseful and complex. I did sniff out some of the plot long before it's revealed, but that's because the right clues were given along the way and not because the story is predictable. There are some really intense scenes and there's a creepy atmosphere hanging over the story. It had me hooked and I couldn't put the book down until I finished it.

The world building was really well done and added to the story. I could easily picture the city and it's inhabitants. The writing fit the story and setting without it turning pompous as is the case in so many other stories in a steampunk setting.

Overall this is a cool and suspenseful steampunk thriller and I can't wait to read the next book in this series. I can advice this to anyone who likes Steampunk and to anyone who loves a good, suspenseful story.

Why should you read it:
It's a really awesome Steampunk Thriller


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

4 comments:

Melliane said...

wonderful, I bought it because if you but now I need more time to read it.

Aurian said...

I would have bought the book, and cancelled the pre-order if I wanted to read it that badly :) Glad you enjoyed it.

Sullivan McPig said...

Too late! it was already send the day before, but with Sandd you know it will take ages to arrive.

Aleksandra said...

Awesome review! I must read this soon :)