Monday 20 May 2013

Wondrous Strange - Book Review


Wondrous Strange (Wondrous Strange #1)
by Lesley Livingston


What is it about:
17 year-old Kelley Winslow doesn’t believe in Faeries. Not unless they’re the kind that you find in a theatre, spouting Shakespeare—the kind that Kelley so desperately wishes she could be: onstage, under lights, with a pair of sparkly wings strapped to her shoulders. But as the understudy in a two-bit, hopelessly off-off-Broadway production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, wishing is probably the closest she’s going to get to becoming a Faerie Queen. At least, that’s what she thinks... In this fun, urban fantasy, Kelley's off-stage life suddenly becomes as complicated as one of Shakespeare’s plot twists when a nighttime trip to Central Park holds more than meets the mortal eye.

What did I think of it:
This is a really nice read.

The pacing of this story is a bit slow because it´s more about Kelley discovering who and what she is than about the action, but it fit the mood of the story.

Kelley is a nice character, I could understand her actions and reactions most of the time, but I have to be honest and say that it was the vivid storytelling and the minor characters that made that I got invested in the story. Intriguing characters like Bob, who is more than he seems or the actor who is called Gentleman Jack for example. It was through these characters that I came to like Kelley and care for her plight.

I liked how Livingston used a familiar tale and mythology but gave her own spin to it. It made for a recognizable yet fresh story.

All in all this is a very enjoyable read and I think I´ll pick up the next book in this series somewhere in the future.

Why should you read it:
It´s a fun YA read about Faeries


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


1 comment:

Melliane said...

Oh I like books about faeries! SO maybe one day! I didn't know this one.