Monday 2 December 2013

The Concrete Grove - Book Review


The Concrete Grove (Concrete Grove #1)
by Gary McMahon


What is it about:
Imagine a place where all your nightmares become real. Think of dark urban streets where crime, debt and violence are not the only things to fear. Picture an estate that is a gateway to somewhere else, a realm where ghosts and monsters stir hungrily in the shadows. Welcome to the Concrete Grove. It knows where you live.

Imagine a place where all your nightmares become real.
Think of dark urban streets where crime, debt and violence are not the only things to fear.
Picture an estate that is a gateway to somewhere else, a realm where ghosts and monsters stir hungrily in the shadows.
Welcome to the Concrete Grove.
It knows where you live.


What did I think of it:
This is a very disturbing read.

I will confess that I'm not sure if I like this book or not. It's a very strange, creepy, yet compelling read.

The things that are happening are disturbing, weird, and nightmarish. Reading this book felt like being trapped in a dream that seemingly makes no sense, but at the same time tells you dark and scary secrets.

There are several characters who take the stage. Some are likeable, others are despicable, and there are those who are just plain pathetic. All are linked one way or the other to the heart of Concrete Grove, a dark and dangerous estate, where reality and nightmares seem to blend together.

I was repulsed and intrigued by this story, and even when things happened that had me frowning, I couldn't stop reading. This story got under my skin and left me unsure what to feel about it.

I will most probably try to get hold of the other books in this trilogy, if only to find out if I eventually will make sense of this story and what I feel about it.

Why should you read it:
It's a weird, yet addictive horror read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Horror is just so...scary ;) Yup too scary for me

Aurian said...

Sooo not a book for me.