Friday 29 November 2013

The Demon's Lexicon - Book Review


The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon #1)
by Sarah Rees Brennan


What is it about:
Sixteen-year-old Nick and his brother, Alan, are always ready to run. Their father is dead, and their mother is crazy—she screams if Nick gets near her. She’s no help in protecting any of them from the deadly magicians who use demons to work their magic. The magicians want a charm that Nick’s mother stole—and they want it badly enough to kill. Alan is Nick’s partner in demon slaying and the only person he trusts in the world. So things get very scary and very complicated when Nick begins to suspect that everything Alan has told him about their father, their mother, their past, and what they are doing is a complete lie. . .

What did I think of it:
This is a really cool read.

After reading Unspoken, I was eager to read more books by Sarah Rees Brennan, so I was very happy to get hold of The Demon's Lexicon, the first book in a trilogy.

The mood of this book is very different from Unspoken. Where Unspoken is filled with humor, this book is more serious, and even dark at times. And this mood fits the story very well.

Nick is a very interesting character. He's not a self sacrificing hero, he's calculating and always looking out for himself. The only other person who's important to him is his brother Alan. I must say I could relate to Nick a lot of the time, especially when his brother would do or suggest something noble I would advice against as well.

The story is intense and full of suspense and action. There were some things I guessed very early in the story, but that didn't spoil the story for me. There were enough other things to keep me on the edge of my seat.

The ending is satisfying, but leaves enough open to make me eager to read the next book. You can bet I will try to get hold of it soon.

Why should you read it:
it's a cool and intense Paranormal YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Hm..the name, did the library have a book by her or not? Goes to check

Aurian said...

Wow two male characters, no girlfriends or love triangles? A must have, for sure.