Wednesday 10 January 2018

Rise - Book Review


Rise (Paper Gods #2.5)
by Amanda Sun


What is it about:
A long, long time ago, before the world was as we know it, Izanami and Izanagi came into being. Two of the first of the ancient gods of Japan, they crafted the world from ink and their own imaginations. Izanagi wants, more than anything, to be with Izanami—but one moment of pride could tear them apart forever.

Yuki and Tanaka have been friends for as long as they can remember, but lately deeper feelings have been bubbling beneath the surface. How do they navigate the transition from friendship to true love without destroying the powerful bond between them?

Set a millennia apart, can these two couples, living parallel love stories, find their happily-ever-afters?


What did I think of it:
I will confess I wasn't really invested in the story of Izanami and Izanagi. Both didn't feel very real, probably because they're legendary Gods and the part of the story that's about them is written in a way that created distance for me.

The awkward love story of Yuki and Tanaka however was everything I wanted. I loved Yuki and Tanaka in the Paper Gods trilogy and have mentioned in my reviews how I wanted them to have a bigger role in the story. So you can understand I loved reading a story that's just about them and their feelings for each other. My one complaint: It's much too short!

All in all a lovely addition to the series, even if you are not interested in the antics of the ancient Gods.

Why should you read it:
It's a must read for fans of the Yuki and Tanaka.


Buy from Amazon

No comments: