Thursday 10 June 2010

Character Connection - Piglet


We all have characters we love. Let's spotlight these fantastic creations! Whether you want to be friends with them or you have a full-blown crush on them, you know you love them and want everyone else to love them too!

Character Connection host by
TheIntrovertedReader.blogspot.com

My Character Connection of today is about Piglet from A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh.

I love Piglet. Piglet is such a sweet, kind creature with a weird sort of logic that somehow sounds logical anyway.

Here is the introduction to Piglet from the book:

"The Piglet lived in a very grand house in the middle of a beech-tree, and the beech-tree was in the middle of the forest, and the Piglet lived in the middle of the house. Next to his house was a piece of broken board which had: 'TRESPASSERS W' on it. When Christopher Robin asked the Piglet what it meant, he said it was his grandfather's name and had been in the family for a long time. Christopher Robin said you couldn't be called Trespassers W, and Piglet said yes, you could, because his grandfather was, and it was short for Trespassers Will, which was short for Trespassers William. And his grandfather had had two names in case he lost one - Trespassers after an uncle, and William after Trespassers.
'I've got two names,' said Christopher Robin carelessly.
'Well, there you are, that proves it,' said Piglet."


I can't help but absolutely love a character with a logic like that! And Piglet being a pig is ofcourse cool too.

Another one of my favourite bits about Piglet:

"Piglet had got up early that morning to pick himself a bunch of violets; and when he had picked them and put them in a pot in the middle of his house, it suddenly came over him that nobody had ever picked Eeyore a bunch of violets, and the more he thought of this, the more he thought how sad it was to be an Animal who had never had a bunch of violets picked for him. So he hurried out again, saying to himself, 'Eeyore, Violets' and then 'Violets, Eeyore,' in case he forgot, because it was that sort of day, and he picked a large bunch and trotted along, smelling them, and feeling happy, until he came to the place where Eeyore was."

11 comments:

Daria Hlazatova said...

ooh I love Piglet,my favourite character from Winnie the Pooh!!

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

Can you believe I have never read Winnie the Pooh? Isn't that terrible? Based on the cartoons, I'm an Eeyore fan. I do like those quotes you shared about Piglet. Who could argue with logic like that?

vvb32 reads said...

piglet. what a gentle soul ;-D

Birdie said...

see this? It's my shocked face! YOU?! Like a piglet character?

Ok, sorry, I think I have my sarcasm under control now.

Seriously though, Piglet is the most adorable little worrywart! *cuddles Piglet*

Fourth Musketeer said...

Oh, I love Piglet too! Although I have a soft spot for Pooh bear because of his obsession with food!

Midnight Sapphire Books said...

Awwww Piglet, I love it too!!!

Karen Russell said...

Piglet... I should've guessed. I do love the Pooh stories and did my daughter's nursery in them. Unfortunately so far I can't get her interested in the stories or even the movie (classic Pooh all the way). Maybe I should try focusing on Piglet. :D

Unknown said...

I LOVE Piglet! (my little sister's nickname is Piglet too because of her rosy skin)

And I just melt at this quote, one of my favourite ones:

"Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.

'Pooh?' he whispered.

Yes, Piglet?'

'Nothing,' said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. 'I just wanted to be sure of you."

Can you say awww? :-)

Nina said...

Piglet is just cute. :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I should really get around to reading A.A. Milne's original stories. I've been spoiled by the Disney adaptations, I'm afraid! =(

This Piglet is so wonderful and adorable--and hardly anything like the Disney Piglet. I don't know if anyone really loves the latter, but I can totally see why you love the former, aka the original!

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks for you comments everyone.
And yes: this Piglet is wonderful, I kind of like the Disney version, but this is the one and only real Piglet for me.