Thursday 3 June 2010

Character Connection - Sparky


We all have characters we love. Let's spotlight these fantastic creations! Whether you want to be friends with them or you have a full-blown crush on them, you know you love them and want everyone else to love them too!

Character Connection host by
TheIntrovertedReader.blogspot.com

Today I want to talk about Sparky, the familiar from Anya in Embers by Laura Bickle.

I LOVE sparky! He's so cool and fun. Let me show you by some snippets from Embers:

"A fire spirit, a salamander, was unleashed from the necklace. He shimmered with semitransparent light, large as a Rottweiler. Sparky took the shape of the massive speckled salamanders found in mountain streams, the monsters that folks called hellbenders."

"He padded across the floor to a large flannel dog bed placed against the wall. Resting in the bed was his favorite toy: a Gloworm.
....
Sparky placed his foot on the Gloworm. It lit up. He removed his paw, and the light winked out. He cocked his head, watching it, then patted it again."

"Sparky padded across the room, tail switching. He could smell the testosterone in the air, and wasn't about to let *** get away with hitting on his charge. He stomped up to *** and savagely bit him in the knee."

(name blanked out to avoid being too spoilery)

Well, if that doesn't make you curious to learn more about this really cool familiar I don't know what will, except that I can tell you that there will be even more of Sparky and other fire salamanders in the next book: Sparks.

7 comments:

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

I am definitely curious! A hellbender the size of a Rottweiler? Intimidating to say the least. The bit with the gloworm is something I could watch over and over again in a movie and laugh harder every time. Do I have a juvenile sense of humor? Probably. ;-)

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I haven't read this - I am curious! My younger brother had a gloworm as a baby, I'd forgotten all about that :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Okay, now I want a familiar like Sparky!!!

I think it's great that you're profiling characters who most people overlook because they're "just" pets, Sully. But you would know, wouldn't you, being a sort of pet yourself? ;)

Unknown said...

I LOVED Embers and Sparky was one of the reasons! He is such a cutie! Laura Bickle made him a very original and adorable full-time character, he is just as much the hero of the book as Anya, they are great together and I can't wait to read Sparks and see them again! :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, a pet salamander? That's pretty wild.

Laura Bickle said...

Wow! Thank you so much for writing about Sparky. I'm so glad that you enjoyed him. He's a composite of all the pets I've had. :-)

There's also a flash fiction short about what Sparky really does when Anya's asleep, here, on page 17: http://www.simonandschuster.com/admin_assets/2443_UF_Sampler_Spring_2010.pdf?mcd=z_100317_PDF_Spring-Sampler_JunoBooks

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks for your comments everyone
Enbrethiliel: I think you're right. Being an animal myself I notice characters like this more easily, but I have to say if you read Embers you will also notice and love Sparky.
@Laura: I'm off to check that story out!