Friday 4 June 2010

Nightwalker - Book Review


Nightwalker by Jocelynn Drake

What is it about:
For centuries Mira has been a nightwalker -- an unstoppable enforcer for a mysterious organization that manipulates earth-shaking events from the darkest shadows. But elemental mastery over fire sets her apart from others of her night-prowling breed...and may be all that prevents her doom.
The foe she now faces is human: the vampire hunter called Danaus, who has already destroyed so many undead. For Mira, the time has come to hunt or be hunted.
But in a dimension just beyond the worlds boundaries, a banished race stirs dangerously, hungry for power, for domination, for vengeance. Already a protective seal has been breached: already blood flows like a river through the world's great cities. And only the collaboration of two sworn enemies can save humankind...and its ferel brethern.


What did I think of it:
This is a very decent Urban Fantasy story. It has lots of action, a compelling story and a nice dark mood. It is the first in a series and the ending clearly reflects this and left me a bit frustrated, but eager to read the next book. The lead character Mira was a bit difficult to grasp at first: she's a centuries old vampire, but she didn't feel that way. But as the story went on she grew on me and I could forgive the lack of age in her personality. I did run across one thing that keeps happening again and again with me though: my favourite character in the book was one of the bad guys and I fear for the life of this character in future books.

Oh, one more thing:
Comparing a kiss with a baby's breath? Don't do it!

Why should you read it:
Great story and lots of kick ass action.

3 comments:

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

"Comparing a kiss with a baby's breath?" Perhaps the author has not seriously investigated this comparison.

I really enjoyed this novel too. The opening scene grabbed me! I have yet to make it to the next book in the series but that is just because my TBR pile is so huge. LOL

Thanks for the review ~ Miranda

Danielle said...

I have the first 2 books in my TBR pile.
Is it all action and no romance? I was kind of hoping for a little 'somethin-somethin' on the side?

Sullivan McPig said...

There's very little romance, but maybe there will be in later books, there's hinting at something developing.