Thursday 24 June 2010

Character Connection - Tara


We all have characters we love. Let's spotlight these fantastic creations! Whether you want to be friends with them or you have a full-blown crush on them, you know you love them and want everyone else to love them too!

Character Connection host by
TheIntrovertedReader.blogspot.com

The character I connect with this week is Tara from Dark Oracle by Alayna Williams.

Tara is a great character in my opinion:
She's scarred, both mentally and physically, but even though she is afraid because of the things that happened in her past she doesn't let that stop her from doing what she knows needs to be done. A kind of courage that I can really admire.

Besides that she can use tarot cards to help her see things more clearly.
She's an ex-profiler and she used the cards to help her understand the criminals and killers she had to hunt and she uses them to advice her on other things as well. I think tarot cards and their symbolism are very interesting myself so I love how Tara lets them help her, but she never loses sight over the fact who is in control: Her and not the cards!

Throughout 'Dark Oracle' Tara goes through a process of (re)growth that is so good to see and at the end of the book I was both happy and sad. Happy to know how things turned out for Tara, but sad that there wasn't anymore to read about her. so I'm very glad there's going to be at least one more book about Tara: Rogue Oracle, which will be available in March 2011.

6 comments:

Alayna Williams said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed Tara! She's a character who goes through a good deal of personal growth, both in DARK ORACLE and in the sequel, ROGUE ORACLE. In ROGUE, her powers take a disconcerting leap forward and the cards begin invading her dreams. The card that she begins to identify with is Strength. Strength, in the Tarot, is traditionally shown as a woman closing the jaws of a lion.

And the pigs will be pleased to know that the lion makes several appearances in Tara's dreams!

Daria Hlazatova said...

i enjoy reading about clever characters like Tara. I haven't read the book, but I think I'd love it!

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

It sounds like Tara has the best kind of courage. One of my favorite authors, Charles de Lint, has a character who uses tarot cards a lot too. She shows up as a minor character in a lot of his books, but I can't remember if she's ever the main character. She's very cool though.

Sullivan McPig said...

@Alayna: Oooh, sounds good! I'll be counting the months till March 2010
@Jen: I still have to try something by Charles de Lint, I've heard good things about his books, but never read one sofar.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

She sounds fascinating! The way she combines the science of profiling and the art of tarot card reading sounds very intriguing indeed! (And didn't you say in another post that this book is well researched when it comes to the tarot, Sully?)

Sullivan McPig said...

It is indeed very well researched both when it comes to profiling as well as the tarot.
Alayna Williams has an MA in sociology-criminology (research interests: fear of crime and victimology) and a BA in criminology and tarot is one of her interests/hobbies