Friday 11 June 2010

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel - Book Review


'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel'
by: Tony Lee (Adapter), Jane Austen (Author), Seth Grahame-Smith (Author), Cliff Richards (Illustrator)

What is it about:
It is known as “the strange plague,” and its unfortunate victims are referred to only as “unmentionables” or “dreadfuls.” All over England, the dead are rising again, and now even the daughters of Britain’s best families must devote their lives to mastering the deadly arts. Elizabeth Bennet is a fearsome warrior whose ability with a sword is matched only by her quick wit and even sharper tongue. But she faces her most formidable foe yet in the haughty, conceited, and somehow strangely attractive Mr. Darcy. As the two lovers meet in the ballroom and on the battlefield, they’ll soon learn that nothing—not even bands of ninjas, hordes of flesh-eating zombies, or disapproving aunts—can stop true love.

What did I think of it:
Well, having read the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies novel the story was familiar to me, so no surprises there; but the artwork! Just look at it: Isn't it awesome! Cliff Richards did a great job in capturing this story in my opinion and the graphic novel is a feast for the eyes. I did feel (just as I did with the novel) that the stilted dialogues could have been modernised a bit, but then again I'm not a fan of Austen's writing style, so I'm probably alone in this and will now get clobbered by her many fans for saying this.

Why should you read it:
Just look at the beautiful artwork! And it has zombies!

6 comments:

Daria Hlazatova said...

i love Pride and Prejudice, so I wondered about this book, when I first saw it. Is it funny at all? :)

Sullivan McPig said...

Hmmm, I wouldn't really consider it funny. It's more a novelty. It's the original story, but with zombies added to it, the novel even keeps close to the original text and the graphic novel uses the dialogue from the novel.

titania86 said...

The only thing I didn't like about the graphic novel was that it was in black and white. I think it could have been so much more dynamic and bold in color.

Birdie said...

nnnnnnnnnnn zoooooombies....I've been meaning to read the novel form of P&P and Zombies, but this may be even better!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I'm up to beautiful graphics combined with zombies. Well, maybe. I'll have to see if I can get a copy.

Anonymous said...

The artwork was my favorite part of the novel, so the graphic novel must be good for that at least. ;)

--Anna