Friday 25 June 2010

Sins & Shadows - Book Review

Sins & Shadows (a Shadows Inquiries Novel) by Lyn Benedict

What is it about:
Sylvie Lightner is no ordinary P.I. She specializes in cases involving the unusual, in a world where magic is real-and where death isn't the worst thing that can happen to you.

But when an employee is murdered in front of her, Sylvie has had enough. After years of confounding the dark forces of the Magicus Mundi, she's closing up shop-until a man claiming to be the God of Justice wants Sylvie to find his lost lover.

And he won't take no for an answer.


What did I think of it:
A great, fast paced story, but with a heroine I couldn't feel for. I loved the writing, the setting, some of the side characters, the storyline, the action, but I actually came close to despising Sylvie. Sylvie is exactly the kind of heroine I'm talking about when I'm complaining about heroines often being too bitchy for my tastes. Of course I like it when the heroine of a story is a strong woman who knows how to take care of herself, but I want there to be something to like about the lead character too and barking and snapping at those who are supposed to be allies isn't something that makes me like a character. Still I might give the second book in this series a chance in hope the events in this book made Sylvie wiser and a bit nicer.

Why should you read it:
It's a great, fast paced UF story!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She should have shown some character growth within the book itself, though. I'm not real keen on snapping and growling myself. If it's unreasonable it can make the pitch the book against the wall.

Nina said...

Sorry to hear that the heroine of the book didnt quite was the heroine you hoped for. Maybe she gets nicer and friendlier in the second book! Let's hope! :)