Wednesday 23 October 2013

Awaken - Book Review


Awaken (Abandon Trilogy #3)
by Meg Cabot


What is it about:
Death has her in his clutches. She doesn’t want him to let go.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera knew by accepting the love of John Hayden, she’d be forced to live forever in the one place she’s always dreaded most: the Underworld. The sacrifice seemed worth it, though, because it meant she could be with the boy she loves.

But now her happiness — and safety — are threatened, all because the Furies have discovered that John has broken one of their strictest rules: He revived a human soul.

If the balance between life and death isn’t fixed, both the Underworld and Pierce’s home back on earth will be wiped away. But there’s only one way to restore order. Someone has to die.


What did I think of it:
This is a very enjoyable read.

I will confess I read this book just after having read The Outside by Laura Bickle, and that made that I thought this book missed some bite. There are some tense moments, but compared to the grimness of my previous read they fell a bit flat.

That being said: I very much enjoyed this book. It's a worthy conclusion to a fun and intriguing trilogy. I think Cabot did a good job in re-imagining the myth of Persephone and Hades.

I liked how Pierce includes her friends in the action and doesn't run off alone (most of the times). I also liked how the roles are being reversed and Pierce becomes the one having to save John.

The thing that did bug me is the (recurring) theme of divorcees getting back together. Really: there's a reason people get divorced. Happy reunions are far and few between, yet YA seems to be full of them.

Overall I really did enjoy this book though and this whole trilogy deserves a spot on my keeper shelves to be reread in the future.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and cool Paranormal YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

1 comment:

Aurian said...

O yes, it is difficult to read something after just finishing a great book. But I am glad you enjoyed it enough to like it.