Monday 28 October 2013

The Cold Kiss of Death - Book Review


The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com #2)
by Suzanne McLeod


What is it about:
Being haunted by a ghost is the least of Genny’s problems: she’s also trying to deal with the witch neighbour who wants her evicted. Finn, her sort-of-Ex – and now her new boss – can’t quite decide whether he wants their relationship to be business or pleasure. And then there’s the queue of vamps inviting her to paint the town red; how long before they stop taking no for an answer?

Just when it seems things can’t get any worse a human friend is murdered using sidhe magic. Determined to hunt down the killer and needing help, she turns to one of London’s most capricious wylde fae and the seductive vampire Malik al-Khan.

But all too soon she realises she doesn’t know who she can trust – and now Genny’s the one being hunted, not just by the police, but by some of London’s most powerful and dangerous supernaturals.


What did I think of it:
I read the first book in this series a couple of years ago. Even though I really liked it, I just didn't get to buying book 2 until recently. In fact it was so long ago I read book 1, I decided to do a reread before picking up book 2 and discovered I liked it even better than the first time I read it. So with the events of The Sweet Scent of Blood fresh in my mind I dived into The Cold Kiss of Death.

And this is a really cool story.

Genny is trying to deal with the aftermath of the events from book 1 when she stumbles in on a crime scene and becomes suspect number one. From there on she has to run to stay alive and free. And being a murder suspect isn't even the worst of her problems I can tell you.

I loved how the fae community gets more depth in this book. McLeod uses existing mythology, but gives it her own (very interesting) spin. Some new fae were introduced and I especially liked Tavish, Genny's old flame.

But there was one character who overshadowed all others in my opinion: Malik al-Khan. I love Malik! He's mysterious, enigmatic and dangerous. Even if the story wasn't as good as it is, I would have kept reading to learn more about Malik.

Fortunately the story is very good. It's full of action, mystery and sneaky dealings. At one point in the story I didn't trust anyone anymore. Everyone seemed to have their own dark motives. I kept rooting for Genny to discover who she could trust and for her to stay alive.

All in all this is a great story and I will most definitely get my trotters on the other books in this series.

Why should you read it:
it's a cool and dark Urban Fantasy read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide


2 comments:

Melliane said...

I really love this series!

Aurian said...

I have read the first two books in this series, and I have to admit, this is a difficult series to read. It is so confusing at times. I still do not know if I like the series, or not. I do have the next two books on the shelves though.