Tuesday 1 October 2013

Perdition - Book Review


Perdition (Dred Chronicles #1)
by Ann Aguirre


What is it about:
The prison ship Perdition, a floating city where the Conglomerate’s most dangerous criminals are confined for life, orbits endlessly around a barren asteroid.

Life inside is even more bleak. Hailed as the Dread Queen, inmate Dresdemona “Dred” Devos controls one of Perdition’s six territories, bordered on both sides by would-be kings eager to challenge her claim. Keeping them at bay requires constant vigilance, as well as a steady influx of new recruits to replace the fallen. Survival is a constant battle, and death is the only escape.

Of the newest convicts, only one is worth Dred’s attention. The mercenary Jael, with his deadly gaze and attitude, may be the most dangerous criminal onboard. His combat skill could give her the edge she needs, if he doesn’t betray her first. Unfortunately, that’s what he does best. Winning Jael’s allegiance will be a challenge, but failure could be worse than death…


What did I think of it:
I loved the Sirantha Jax series, so when I heard Aguirre was going to write a spin off series I preordered Perdition as soon as it was available.

And Perdition doesn't disappoint.

I love the setting: a lawless prison ship. The perfect setting for a grim and gritty story.

And grim and gritty it is! Both setting and story ooze darkness. I loved the atmosphere and couldn't stop reading. I had to know more about this prison ship and its intriguing inmates.

Dred was a really cool character. She's tough and calculating, but even in the midst of all the darkness and brutality she hasn't lost her humanity. She tries to survive with the tools she has at hands. She gets help from two very intriguing men: Einar and Tam. I especially loved Tam. He's a complex character with his own motives to help Dred stay queen of her section of Perdition.

And then there is Jael of course. I didn't much care for Jael in the Jax series, but after a shaky start in Perdition he slowly began to grow on me, until finally I started to like him and cheer him on.

The story is really good as well. There's lots of brutal action, sneaky intrigue and a bit of romance as well. All in all a cool and gripping read.

I will certainly reread this book and I'm already looking forward to reading more about Dred and her men.

Why should you read it:
It's a cool and gritty SciFi read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Great review Sullivan, I look forward to reading it some day.

Melliane said...

I have the first book of the original series, I need to read it!