Wednesday 7 April 2010

The Fire Rose - Book Review

The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey

What is it about:
Accepting employment as a governess after hard times hit her family, medieval scholar Rosalind Hawkins is surprised when she learns that her mysterious employer has no children and only wants her to read to him through a speaking tube.

What did I think of it:
This book in the The Elemental Masters series is often overlooked as it is published by Baen and not by DAW as the rest is and I think that's a shame as I think this one is the best!

Now I must confess that Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourite fairytales so that might be why I love this book as it uses that fairytale as a basis for this story.

The story is set in 1905 and Lackey sure did her research to create a believable setting and her characters are all well thought out and vary from likeable to so despicable it makes your skin crawl.

All in all this is a rich and engaging story, well written and despite using a fairytale as it's basis very unique.

Why should you read it:
If you like fairytales and want to read a story that gives an old tale a brand new jacket and plays around with it you should read this book and after reading this one you should pick up the rest of this series.

5 comments:

Marlowe said...

I saw your little widget on the top corner-- do you know that a new one came out recently? A new Kelley Armstrong?

Sullivan McPig said...

Yes! The Reckoning, the last book in the trilogy!
I'm impatiently awaiting it's arrival as I pre-ordered it at the bookdepository, but at the moment it still says on the site it's waiting for the release date which was yesterday!! Argh.... frustrating.

Anonymous said...

I generally avoid fairy tales, but I'm not close-minded about it.

Demented Wench said...

I think I might enjoy this book. I'll have to keep it in mind. :)

Sullivan McPig said...

I think you'll like it, the whole series is quite good.