Wednesday 5 December 2018

The Rains - Book Review


The Rains (Rains #1)
by Gregg Hurwitz


What is it about:
It's never really been my thing to be the brave one - that's always been my older brother Patrick - but something world-changing is happening in our small town of Creek's Cause. Parasites have infected everyone over the age of eighteen, making them violent, and if they even sniff a kid they either bash our brains in or take us back to their creepy lair.

We're trapped at the school with the other remaining survivors, including Patrick's girlfriend Alex, and we don't know how long we'll last. The school is surrounded by infected adults, and we're sure that there is something else out there, something controlling the people that used to be our parents, our guardians.

But here's the real problem, Patrick is turning eighteen in a few days, so it's up to me - Chance Rain - to find a way to save him. And maybe, just maybe if we survive the next few weeks then we can help save humanity.


What did I think of it:
This is a cool action-packed read.

The story isn't that logical or suspenseful: You just know that Chance's older brother won't die until at least late in the book if at all, so some of the scenes that were meant to be dicey didn't get my anxiety for their safety going I will confess. But I didn't much mind. I picked this book up to be entertained by teens fighting against zombie-like adults and that is exactly what I got.

There is of course some teen angsty love stuff going on, teens getting in each others face and posturing for dominance, and other things like that, but those things only added to the entertainment value of this book.

All in all a great read if you're looking for a fast paced and enjoyable zombie read (even though they are not called zombies). I'll read the next book soon.

Why should you read it:
It's a very entertaining YA read.


buy from bookdepository

No comments: