Friday 17 August 2018

Good Luck with That - Book Review by Voodoo Bride


Good Luck with That
by Kristan Higgins


What is it about:
Emerson, Georgia, and Marley have been best friends ever since they met at a weight-loss camp as teens. When Emerson tragically passes away, she leaves one final wish for her best friends: to conquer the fears they still carry as adults.

For each of them, that means something different. For Marley, it's coming to terms with the survivor's guilt she's carried around since her twin sister's death, which has left her blind to the real chance for romance in her life. For Georgia, it's about learning to stop trying to live up to her mother's and brother's ridiculous standards, and learning to accept the love her ex-husband has tried to give her.

But as Marley and Georgia grow stronger, the real meaning of Emerson's dying wish becomes truly clear: more than anything, she wanted her friends to love themselves.


What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
So I don't usually read Women's Fiction, but this seemed to be a book that people either love or burn to the ground. And in a case like that I get curious. I decided to give it a try.

And this is a really emotional and difficult read in my opinion. I can even understand why some people get mad at the book. A lot of the story deals with body issues, body image, and how we ourselves and others look at our weight. It's a delicate subject, but in my opinion the author handled it well.

One thing that seemed to upset people was how Emerson's death was used as a plot point. I can't say I understand why that's a bad thing. It's not like there aren't any other books that use the death of someone as a plot point. I had to wonder if those people were just as outraged by Me Before You for example.

Emerson asks Georgia and Marley to do the things they told each other they'd do when they'd lost weight. It's a wake up call to both of them to look at their lives and to see what is holding them back to do the things they want to do. Is it their weight, or are they holding themselves back for other reasons.

What follows is a heartbreaking and emotional story where both women try to do the things on the list they made as teens, and they discover more about themselves, their place in the world and in their family. This is as much a story about family, courage, second chances, and self acceptance as it is about body issues, if not even more so.

I will confess I bawled my eyes out over one character who Marley meets. He reminded me of an uncle of mine who had the same issues and fears. I also fell in love with Georgia's nephew, who has his own battles to fight.

All in all this was a thought provoking read and I'm glad I picked it up.

Why should you read it:
It's an emotional and thought provoking read.


Buy from Amazon

No comments: