Friday 3 May 2019

Half-Off Ragnarok - Book Review


Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid #3)
by Seanan McGuire


What is it about:
When Alex Price agreed to go to Ohio to oversee a basilisk breeding program and assist in the recovery of his psychic cousin, he didn't expect people to start dropping dead. But bodies are cropping up at the zoo where he works, and his girlfriend—Shelby Tanner, an Australian zoologist with a fondness for big cats—is starting to get suspicious.

Worse yet, the bodies have all been turned partially to stone...

The third book in the InCryptid series takes us to a new location and a new member of the family, as Alex tries to balance life, work, and the strong desire not to become a piece of garden statuary. Old friends and new are on the scene, and danger lurks around every corner.

Of course, so do the talking mice.


What did I think of it:
I loved the first two books in this series, but this third book has a new lead character, so I was a bit apprehensive when I picked it up. I really liked Verity, would I like Alex as well?

It turned out I do!

Alex is a really cool geek! Being a geek myself I immediately liked him. And I loved his grandparents as well!

I didn't know at first what to make of Shelby, but soon things happened that made me like her as well. I also really liked Alex's assistant, who's a gorgon, and I adored the little girl who keeps sneaking into the snake house and makes things even more complicated for Alex. McGuire is a master in creating colorful and intriguing characters.

The story is both fun and suspenseful. This series mixes humor and suspense really well I must say. One moment I'd be chuckling to be on the edge of my seat and fearing for my favorite characters lives the next. I will say I figured out some things really quick (the hints were obvious), but still enough things were unclear to keep me wondering about the why of it all.

All in all this is a really cool and entertaining read. You bet I'll pick up the next book soon.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and suspenseful UF read.


buy from bookdepository

1 comment:

miki said...

4th book is also with alex and i'm sure you will love it; don't forget to check the free stories too