Thursday 2 February 2012

Sea Glass - Book Review

Sea Glass (Glass #2)
by Maria V. Snyder


What is it about:
Like the colorful pieces of sea glass washed up on shore, Opal has weathered rough waters and twisting currents. But instead of finding a tranquil eddy, Opal is caught in a riptide. Her unique glass messengers which allow instant communication over vast distances have become a vital part of Sitian society. Once used solely by the Councilors and magicians, other powerful factions are now vying for control. Control of the messengers equals control of Sitia. Unfortunately that also means control of Opal. If that isn’t enough of a problem, Opal’s determination to prove blood magic is still being used is met with strong resistance. The Council doubts her, her mentor doubts her, and even her family is concerned. When her world is turned upside down, she begins to doubt herself. In the end, Opal must decide who to believe, who to trust, and who has control—otherwise she will shatter into a million pieces and be swept out by the tide.

What did I think of it:
This book seemed to suffer from middle book syndrome.

There are a couple of story hooks introduced that seem to go nowhere at this moment and that I can only assume will be picked up in book three.

Otherwise the story is both frustrating and intriguing. There's lots of stuff going on and I had to keep reading to find out how everything would fit together.

The love square from book one was reduced to a love triangle and while my favorite character was still Opal's main squeeze, again there were lots of hints this may not be so by the end of the Trilogy. I must say I'm at the point where I'm going to look for spoilers before reading book three, because I so loathe the other love interest that I'm not sure I want to read the next book if it turns out that Opal ends up with him.

All in all I liked the overall story, was frustrated by the romantic storyline and disappointed that some story hooks were left dangling. I'm not sure I will read book three, but I like Snyder's writing enough that I did pick up 'Touch of Power', the first book in another series.

Why should you read it:
It's an intriguing Fantasy adventure.

Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide



No comments: