Sunday 5 February 2012

Virals - Book Review

Virals (Virals #1)
by Kathy Reichs


What is it about:
Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.


What did I think of it:
I almost didn't finish this book as I really disliked Tory, the main character.

She's little miss Perfect: she's so intelligent, so smart, so misunderstood. (Can we say Mary Sue? Egh...)

But as the story is quite intriguing I did my best to put my annoyance aside and I continued reading. (By reading on I discovered she's not perfect after all actually: she's tone deaf O_0)

Anyway:
Apart from the above mentioned annoyance this is a fun read. There's lots of action, mystery and intrigue. I really liked some of the other characters, especially Hi, and I felt myself cheering the foursome on despite my dislike of Tory.

So I ended up enjoying this book and I might give the next book a try some day, although I hope Tory will grow up a bit and become less annoying.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice and easy paranormal(ish) YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Michelle Greathouse said...

I've wondered about this one for a while now - but haven't seen any reviews on it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it - despite Little Miss Perfect. :)

Have a great day.

M

M.A.D. said...

LOL I enjoyed Virals [despite Little Miss Perfect, too] and need to get the next in the series. Unfortunately, zombie books keep getting in the way ;D

Melliane said...

oh this one has just been released in french. I'm sorry you didn't like the character it's so difficult when it's the case... but I'm glad you enjoyed this book at the end.